Sunday 26 January 2014

A New Adventure


What is My New Adventure?



At first glance, this doesn't sound crazy. I mean, anyone with sufficient time and stickability can bang out sufficient words to write a novel, surely?

Alas! That's not quite how it works. Because I have Definitions:
  • What makes a novel? 
  • How will you know if its good? 
And I have a deadline. Which, for some mad reason, is totally self-imposed.


A novel is characters, reacting to transformational conflict. 

This doesn't just apply to novels - it applies to plays, movies, TV shows. Anything, involving fictionalised interactions.


Ah, now, that's the killer, isn't it? 

The crux of a novel  is three things: 
  • Character. 
  • Conflict. 
  • Change.
So simple!

NOT. If it were only this easy, there would be no need for writing classes or blogs about writing or books that teach the craft. It is the hardest thing in the world.

Good, to me, means: Sir or Madam Agent, I am willing to submit this to you.

Watch This Space....

No comments:

Post a Comment